26 March 2006

Suggestions for the new Red America Blogger at WaPo

So the folks at Fishbowl DC are looking for suggestions as to who might replace the recently resigned Ben Domenech.

I throw my hat in the ring. As I say in a post below, I think I'd kick-ass in that role.

Here's the body of the post I've emailed to Fishbowl DC


As far as who Jim Brady should contemplate replacing Ben Domenench with, I self-servingly nominate myself.

Dozens of readers a day can't be wrong.

I'd bring my 'modest proposal' gimmick to the big time (it's not plagiarism if you are 'borrowing' from an author who has been dead for hundreds of years, then it's a tribute)

As examples of the kind of mix of conservative/libertarian writing (with aspirations to some wit occaisonally) I offer the following four recent posts.

Let's Try and Get One Thing Clear
A Modest Proposal on the Requirement of an Additional Accessory for Users of Bluetooth Headsets
The ONE Unforgiveable Sin
Dr. Scalia's Prescription for Tension Headaches

Plus I'd suggest that they assign a topic to both the Red America and Blue America (and I agree, they need both) bloggers at least twice a week so they could have pieces that run side by side. Also, I believe that there are issues that transcend the left/right divide that myself and whomever the Blue America blogger was, could co-write a weekly 'Purple America' piece.

As far as possible Blue America columnist I'd suggest Kevin Drum, Matt Yglesias and Kieran Healy

And as far as other Red America columnist (should I fail to make the grade) I'd suggest James Lileks (especially in Screedblog mode), LaShawn Barber, and Tammy Bruce.

I don't expect you to take this seriously, or even respond, plus even if you did take me seriously, or did respond, you wouldn't have any influence at the Washington Post, so this is a foolish thing to even bother to compose and send, but self-indulgent solipsism, thy name is BLOGGER, and I am a blogger.

Mostly Sincerely,

XWL (Real Name Withheld, I always include my real name in correspondences, but so far not on this blog itself)
Immodest Proposals

No comments: