05 April 2009

Wot's Wrong with a Geordie Accent?





Above (in two parts), Cheryl Cole on Jonathan Ross' show from last year. Simon Cowell wants to unleash Cheryl on the United States, but he's worried that we won't understand a word she's saying.

Screw you Simon, to you that Geordie accent sounds dumb and lower class, to us it sounds sort of 'Beatle-esque' and cute (I know the Newcastle dialect is distinct from Liverpool's, but hey, in America it all sounds about the same to most of us).

If I were Paula Abdul, I'd be watching my back, I think Simon wants to try out Cheryl as the 'nice one' over here on Idol, cause despite Paula talking American, she's incomprehensible for reasons completely aside from dialect.

2 comments:

Ruth Anne Adams said...

She's delightful. I find her easier to understand than the gentleman who puts Ws where Rs belong! She sounds somewhat like my South African sis-in-law if she took a long-term job in Ireland.

XWL said...

I'm with you, I have a harder time understanding "Wossie" than I do her.

And Cat Deeley is doing fine as a 'presenter' for So You Think You Can Dance and she has a Brummie accent which most Brits find to be their least liked of their various dialects yet on her (and to most Americans) it's charming.