16 April 2009

People and Their Stupid Lists . . .

EW compiled a list of 'heartbreaking songs' (linked by Althouse), and they have Purple Rain #9.

First of all, Purple Rain isn't particularly heartbreaking, and second of all, I can think of at least eight Prince songs I'd put ahead of that track (including two from that album).

And thinking is blogging sometimes, so here's a roughly chronological (by date released, the two b-sides on the list are out of order) list of Prince songs more heartbreaking than Purple Rain:

When You Were Mine, from Dirty Mind:
"And U were so strange/U didn't even have the decency to change the sheets"
(tell me that's not heartbreaking, also, the Lauper version is better)

Nothing Compares 2 U, (The Hits/The B-Sides)
"It's been 7 hours and 13 days, since U took your love away"
(Has there ever been a more heartbreaking line? The Sinead version is amazing, the video is simple, yet incredible, as well, her eyes . . .)

How Come U Don't U Call Me Anymore, (The Hits/The B-Sides)
"I still keep your picture by my bed/I still remember every word U said"
(another song that was made more famous by someone else, this time Alicia Keys brings the sexiness and the sadness)

Another Lonely Christmas, (The Hits/The B-Sides)
My momma used 2 say
Always trust your lover
Now I guess that only applies 2 her
Cuz baby u promised me
Baby u promised me u'd never leave
Then u died on the 25th day of December
Oh baby

Last night I spent another lonely, lonely Christmas
Darling, baby, u, u should've been there
Cuz all the 1s I dream about
U are the 1 that makes my love shout
U see, u are the only 1 I care 4
Yeah
(Yes, it's schmaltzy, but he really sells it)

When Doves Cry, from Purple Rain:
"Don't make me chase u/Even doves have pride"
"How can you leave me standing/Alone in a world so cold"
(This song is at least 1.5 times sadder than Purple Rain, which is more or less power ballad/anthem while this song is pure wistfulness)

The Beautiful Ones, from Purple Rain:
"U make me so confused/The beautiful ones/U always seem 2 lose"
(the tone of this song is much sadder, with a touch of obsessive stalker thrown in for good measure, when compared to Purple Rain, and his vocal performance is both way over the top, and kind of awesome)

Sometimes it Snows in April, form Parade
Tracy died soon after a long fought civil war,
just after I'd wiped away his last tear
I guess he's better off than he was before,
A whole lot better off than the fools he left here
I used 2 cry 4 Tracy because he was my only friend
Those kind of cars don't pass u every day
I used 2 cry 4 Tracy because I wanted to see him again,
But sometimes sometimes life ain't always the way...

Sometimes it snows in April
Sometimes I feel so bad, so bad
Sometimes I wish life was never ending,
and all good things, they say, never last

Springtime was always my favorite time of year,
A time 4 lovers holding hands in the rain
Now springtime only reminds me of Tracy's tears
Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain
He used 2 say so strong unafraid to die
Unafraid of the death that left me hypnotized
No, staring at his picture I realized
No one could cry the way my Tracy cried

Sometimes it snows in April
Sometimes I feel so bad
Sometimes, sometimes I wish that life was never ending,
And all good things, they say, never last

I often dream of heaven and I know that Tracy's there
I know that he has found another friend
Maybe he's found the answer 2 all the April snow
Maybe one day I'll see my Tracy again

Sometimes it snows in April
Sometimes I feel so bad, so bad
Sometimes I wish that life was never ending,
But all good things, they say, never last

All good things that say, never last
And love, it isn't love until it's past

(that one deserves the entirety of the lyrics, a brilliant, and brilliantly heartbreaking song)

Somebody's Somebody, from Emancipation
It's 2 o'clock in the morning and I just can't sleep
Outside the rain is pourin', I'm lonely as can be
Maybe 2night'll be different than the nights before
I need 2 feel someone beside me, I can't be alone no more
(This is a really solid song, gets lost amidst the 3 cds worth of songs he unleashed with that collection, though)

And as far as the latest collection, I find all three albums have something to offer, they aren't great, but each has moments, definitely worth 12 bucks, and a trip to Target.

No comments: