01 July 2008

Seriously, Dudes? Seriously, That's Messed Up

That's messed up right there. I'm offended that y'all take offense at that ad campaign. You're entitled to your values, but they aren't universal, and you should grow up enough to be able to see an ad that has something in it that you may not find in keeping with your traditions. If you can't handle the give and take in a pluralistic society, then there are plenty of countries on this globe where you can follow a very narrow interpretation of your faith and never be faced with anything that might offend (like bare armed women, clean shaven men, alcohol consumption, pork products, and cute little puppies)

You know, when I was a wee lad, our family dog, a big black Rhodesian Ridgeback, was named Mohammed. Do I earn a fatwa now?

And my father used to go to a Mosque on Fridays (not so much because he agreed with the Black Muslim movement, but it gave him an excuse to cut class once a week when he was in high school).

2 comments:

P_J said...

You know, when I was a wee lad, our family dog, a big black Rhodesian Ridgeback, was named Mohammed. Do I earn a fatwa now?

I think you know the answer.

XWL said...

I'm totally cool with having a fatwa against me, so long as I get to date/marry her, like Rushdie did . . .

(I may or may not have bumped into them at a restaurant while they were still getting a security detail, back some time in the 90s)

(I'm probably too young for her, though, but maybe she's ready for someone closer to her own age, she's worked through her daddy issues)