28 July 2008

The Dangers of Parody in a Post Modern World (Baudrillard Edition)

Althouse trys out the new Cuil search engine by doing some ego-searching.

I tried, too, but being anonymous, and not particularly well linked, means my results were meager.

Tried the same trick on google, and at least this page was the first hit (just googling "XWL" doesn't work, since there are many "xwl"s and most of them aren't me, so I googled "xwl immodest" instead to narrow the field).

In the results I was confronted with something very disturbing.

I got published!

In the International Journal of Baudrillard Studies, no less (vol 4, number 3, OCT 07, contents and other links, here)

Seriously, dudes, I was funning there. I was pissing on his grave.

Looking in the context with which my excerpt was presented, clearly, they aren't "in" on the joke of what I was trying to do there.

Damn you, postmodernism, damn you to hell!!!

Satire and parody aren't possible anymore.

Here's what they quoted:

  • The original Baudrillard has ceased.
  • The counterfeit Baudrillards continue to represent 'Baudrillard-ness' for most 'consumers' of his philosophical production.
  • From a few counterfeits they have reproduced themselves exponentially at campuses across the globe.
  • The simulated Baudrillards "or third order simulcra" are now the only Baudrillards that anyone knows, the copies of Baudrillard are now and forever more, more real than the 'real' Baudrillard ever was or ever could have been.


Here's what they left out:

The post's title, "He Was Brain Dead Long Ago, His Body Finally Caught Up . . ."

Cleverly, they linked the archive for the month, rather than the actual post, I guess expecting nobody would bother scrolling all the way near the bottom to see the actual context of the original post.

I guess in a Journal celebrating a "Dead Wanker", you'd expect the editors to behave like Wankers themselves.

No comments: