23 June 2006

The Instapundit Screws Up His Film Reference

I seem to be cyber-stalking Prof. Reynolds lately (a whole two posts in a row!)

He links to this Byron York NRO post which quotes Markos "Screw Them" Moulitsas (video here). The quote below is where I think Prof. Reynolds slips up
And the beauty of it is at the end of the day, they can take me down. They can take Jerome Armstrong down. They can take down Atrios. They can take down any of the so-called leaders in the movement and it doesn't matter, because this is not a leaderless movement. I used to say this was a leaderless movement, and I was wrong. It's not a leaderless movement; it's a everybody-who's-part-of-it-is-a-leader. And so you can take any single individual down, and it will continue to live on.

From my perspective I here much more of a Kirk Douglas as Spartacus complex coming from the mouth of "Kos" rather than an Alec Guinness as Obi Wan Kenobi in the first (or fourth if you want to count it like Lucas expects you to count them) Star Wars film vibe as Prof. Reynolds suggests.

But of course this is all subjective, and maybe it's really more of a Bill Murray (like anyone remembers the character's name. After perusing IMDB, who could forget the name Tripper Harrison?) in Meatballs moment
Tripper: And even if we win, if we win, HAH! Even if we play so far above our heads that our noses bleed for a week to ten days; even if God in Heaven above points his hand at our side of the field; even if every man woman and child joined hands together and prayed for us to win, it just wouldn't matter because all the really good looking girls would still go out with the guys from Mohawk because they've got all the money! It just doesn't matter if we win or if we lose. IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER!
Rest of group: IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER! IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER...


(now that I think about it, Mr. Moulitsas is much more Bill Murray in Meatballs, but without the funny)

UPDATE: HELLO, Instapundit readers, thanks for dropping by. Don't forget to peruse some of my other musings (especially the Proposals conveniently linked to on the right hand side bar).

Prof. Reynolds was good enough to link my modest thoughts on the subject, and all I have to say is, "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy"

(It's SNL/2nd City Related Film Comedies Reference Day, evidently, if only Stuart had said something interesting lately . . .)

(There's always The Ladies Man, would I be starting trouble if I linked that film to Mr. Moulitsas? Or maybe I should bite the hand that feeds me all these fresh eyeballs and mention that movie in reference to the Instapundit and his still far too hot for him wife.)

1 comment:

AST said...

Martyr's complex.

I'm reading York's last book and one thing it makes clear is how weak these peoples' grasp on reality is. They really think that, because they've got a lot of buzz within their own echo chamber, they must be as big a deal across the board as they are in the MoveOn set.

I think Kos is headed where Michael Moore has ended up, with a realization that politics is a far different world than he thought. The profanity, arrogance, namecalling and cockiness get raves from the believers, but to the normal American, they look childish and repellent.

It's a big world outside San Francisco.