12 November 2005

Advice for Glenn Reynolds

He needs my advice (and he could probably use the extra traffic from people coming over from my site to visit his).

(ouch, I put my tongue so far inside my cheek that I almost poked a hole in it)

Anyway, his post from today about the position Republicans find themselves in got me thinking. The GOP could, and should, use the unpopularity of the current Congress to their benefit.

Run real opposition to the current crop of congress-critters in the primaries. This isn't the time for party unity, if party unity means supporting pork-loving, bible-thumping, weak-kneed demagogues that have put personal political survival ahead of a positive plan for this country.

I'm a Republican, and I lean far to the libertarian fringe within the party on most issues (legalize everything, privatize most gov't agencies, focus the federal gov't on defense and let the states be the 'laboratories of democracy' they were intended to be). Find those candidates with those views and use the power of the internet to promote those candidates. The primaries are the time that the politics of big-money and personal destruction can be countered and thwarted. I think the general voters are ready for a new and improved message from the GOP that reflects a focus on better government at home and security abroad. Encourage independents and libertarians to join the GOP, and encourage the GOP to behave in a more libertarian manner while still respecting the social conservative christians within their ranks. These groups need not be enemies.

I fired off an e-mail to the Blogfather and I'm not delusional enough to expect a response. But just in case, here is a post to welcome the hoped for Instalanche.

No comments: