13 July 2008

The Voluptuous Horror of Disco Orchestration . . .



That's the version I remember from many a bad 70s variety program (I'm certain I've seen this song accompanied by Donny, Marie, Rollerskaters, and Busby Berkeley style camera work, unless it was the Bradys along with Donny and Marie, which is a real and horrifying possibility).

(inspired by this Simply Skimming post)

(post title inspired by this band)

(more on "Disco Orchestration", at the Wiki)

(damn, being a kid in the 70s, really sucked)

(The gentleman who put together the Wing and a Prayer Fife and Drump Corps, Harold Wheeler, can still be found on ABC's highest rated show)

(I'm out of parentheticals, nothing to see here, move along folks . . .)

And lest you think I'm making up how hard the 70s sucked, here's a Donny and Marie Star Wars Themed production number, in two parts (featuring Paul Lynde, and what sounds to me like the actual voice of James Earl Jones). . .





(obviously, I lied about being out of parentheticals, above, I'm never completely "out" of parentheticals . . .)



(OK, one more Fife and Drum bit of YouTube aided copy-infringing, their Disco Disney medley from the Babyface Strikes Back album)

(and I assure you, I never personally owned any of those albums, though I may have listened to the Meco Star Wars album an unhealthy amount of times, another project with Harold Wheeler's fingerprints all over it)

(I'm happy to report that I'm unable to download any Wing and a Prayer music from Zune, but unfortunately The Best of MECO is readily available, and won't be finding its way on to my hard drive any time soon)

(This link rich post was worth waiting a week between posts for, wasn't it?)

No comments: