08 July 2007

A Follow Up Post to a Previous Post That Never Actually Got Posted

I had a post, all worked out, then had a short internet outage, and once I could post again, the post didn't seem post worthy. But it did provide inspiration for a little daytrip I did today.

In the post, that you never got to see, I waxed poetic about the joys of The Mad Greek Diner in Baker, California, and specifically their fantastic milkshakes.

As a man of action, rather than imagining that taste, I decided to drive the 192 miles to Baker and get one myself.

But as a man without a plan, and a desire to wander, I took the long way there, via portions of Route 66, and then Kelbaker Rd. Added 80 miles to the trip by going that route, but then I wouldn't have seen the Daggett Pioneers Cemetery, or nearly pass out from heat stroke at the Kelso Dunes (I should mention it was 114 degrees when I got to Baker at 6:30pm, and probably hotter at the dunes two hours earlier), or taken photos at the recently restored Kelso Depot.

As a reminder to anyone thinking of heading to Kelso Dunes in July, don't do it in the afternoon, don't forget to pack water with you (I did), make sure you have plenty of water back in your car when you're done with your hike (I didn't), and don't go alone in case you have trouble (I was alone, and I don't think I was ever in trouble, but I was closer to being in serious trouble than I should have been).

Posts with photos will follow all week, and maybe even some dashcam YouTube videos, assuming any of it came out, hard to see the lcd screen with the midday sun overhead.

No comments: