19 July 2006

Well, THAT'S Not at All Snobbish (Or Typically French)

Dombasle, too, has been attempting to divine the particulars of the American character. She went to see The Producers on Broadway the other day. "I was thinking, Let's go to a Broadway show everyone likes, and I will see if I'm the average American girl. So I was queuing with a bunch of people that look like the ones you can find in Disneyland. Well, it was really crowded. And I was feeling, uh-uh, I'm sure this is something I won't like." The Broadway hordes were new to Dombasle, who while vacationing in the south of France tends to move in more fragrant circles. But as the curtain fell and applause rippled through the auditorium, Dombasle felt caught up in, well, the popularity of it all. "It's not snobbish at all," she says. "It's not intellectuel or whatever. And that's what I liked."
Dombasle (is that pronounced Dumb-Ass-L?) living the stereotype while declaring her distance from said stereotype of the disdainful Continental looking down upon us uncouth Americans.

It gets better, though, the next paragraph
Beginning Sept. 19, Dombasle will go before l'average American for a three-day run at New York's Supper Club, on West 47th Street. French audiences have been known, she says, to burst into tears at her appearance, but she is fearful that a New York audience, more in sync with the hi-jinks of The Producers, will not be quite so easily overwhelmed. "You know what I discovered in France, during all my concerts, is that I have a very popular audience. Basic people love me."

If she fails here it's our fault, we just were too used to the 'hi-jinks' of the likes of The Producers.

And even if she succeeds in NYC, could she also play in Peoria?

(at least she was in a very good film, 23 years ago)

(and you can sample quite a load of her music at her website)

No comments: