25 July 2006

I Know Exactly What He Means

I used to listen to that Ronettes album with earphones on at blaring volume when I was supposed to be sleeping, and be half-asleep, hallucinatorily half-dreaming, in the dark, engulfed by the "wall of sound", floating in an auditory ocean of Spectorian grandeur and romanticism.

I suppose it was a drug-equivalent for a teenager who did not use drugs.

(quoted from this post by Lexington Green at Chicago Boyz, with YouTube-age)

My "drugs" of choice back in the day for drifting off into a music-filled slumber were Siouxsie and the Banshee's Hyaena, Velvet Underground's Andy Warhol Presents The Velvet Underground and Nico, and Jesus and the Mary Chain's Psychocandy, and of course Prince's Purple Rain.

There will be a part of me that's always back in 1984-1986 listening to those albums (links to CDs, figured you aren't so into being authentic as to searching out the vinyl, and yes, I rebought all those albums on CD)

Those albums may not seem to have anything in common, yet all are 'wall of sound'ish in their own ways (especially Psychocandy), so maybe they have more in common with Lexington's post then would seem at first blush.

Also, in a parallel universe I probably grew up to be a DJ, A&R rep, or bitter music critic.

(which should suggest to you that I am not, nor ever was, any of those things in this universe)

(below is more Amazon link whoring from me, getting tired of this yet?)




No comments: