26 March 2006

You Ain't Wrong (Week Ending 26 March 2006)

This is a placeholder post (that will soon disappear down the memory hole), I'll complete this and give you the week that was in aintwrongness by late afternoon tomorrow

UPDATE: Ok, this isnt' really an update, this is the original post as intended, but I decided to keep up the placeholder announcement, cause I really hate it when the big boys play games with their articles and make significant changes without notice, or referrals back to the original.

So here we are on what I'm pretending to be as Sunday March 26th and here goes your weekly dose of aintwrongness

Pooh, You Ain't Wrong, for having been born on this date, some 29 years ago. Enjoy your last year without a '3' in front of it.

Kevin Drum, You Ain't Wrong, for suggesting that some rule changes are in order to improve the pacing of the end of games in big time college basketball (and speaking of Pooh, he points to this article, too (and references me, so how can I not link as well?). Although, I may have to give you a wrong within an aintwrong for your use of the phrase 'immodest proposal', that's my gimmick! (although you wouldn't know it if you google the phrase 'immodest proposal', to get hits for me specifically you need to google 'immodest proposal xwl' then all but one non-spam site hit is for this blog or references to this blog on other blogs, but really, I kind of like the one non-me hit it's for Xena: Warrior Lesbian (and with that I can't argue, she's got that frisbee thing to damage with me, so I know better than to argue with her), self-googling can be a serious ego-check)

Ruth Anne Adams, You Ain't Wrong, for having so blessedly (I originally wrote damnably, but that doesn't seem right) cute and happy children. (and I continue to refrain from making any connections between carrots and your children)

Sec. of State Condi Rice, You Ain't Wrong (I'm linking the video stream, so you can see for yourself, for those who prefer just the words, transcript here, and the Redstate.com take on the 'meeting' here, along with the rest of Mark Kilmer's rundown of the Sunday shows), for showing up on Meet the Press this week and dropping big large doses of truth on Tim Russerts somewhat oversized noggin. It also would be extremely aintwrong of you if you would somehow be persuaded to change your mind about not seeking the nomination of the Republican Party for the 2008 Presidential Election (or, at least, accepting a VP nod).

The good folks at Gawker, Y'all Ain't Wrong, for your continuing and amazing weekly feature, Blue States Lose (with a slight case of wrongness for skipping a week, holiday, schmoliday). This week's was another classic collection of so much concentrated wrongness, and commenting upon that wrongness with such venomous bile (yet still funny) that I'll just give my readers a taste of #3 from this week and assume that after reading this excerpt that they'll be compelled to read the rest (sort of like how crack or meth dealers will give a new client a freebie to get them hooked) (and as you'll note below, they aren't afraid to mix in profanity, and from time to time the shots they link to are NSFW, but it's well worth reading, and as far as profanity goes, I'm reluctant to use it myself here, but I won't shy away from links or quotes that have profanity in them)
3) One October Night. SXSW III photo #143: It’s time for the return of everybody’s favorite game: “Hipster or Homeless?”! Now, with this one, the matching camo jacket and hat scream “alcoholic Vietnam vet,” and the scraggly beard would seem to push that hypothesis further. But we all know those shell-shocked weirdos only drink Budweiser or Steel Reserve, and the sartorial layering is too complex for someone who shouldn’t have any teeth. Come to think of it, that jacket is probably BAPE and cost $375. Fuck, this one was way too easy.

Good stuff that, and just today (and by today I actually mean yesterday, since I'm pretending that today is yesterday) I passed a (probably) homeless guy working the camo ensemble while I was walking the big black dog up Wilshire Boulevard (and by up I mean both up in terms of elevation and up as in away from the ocean which usually stands in for 'up' around here, up can mean either North or East depending on the reference points and who's giving the directions)

(that last digression is really going to challenge Bill's (of So Quoted fame) premature assertion that this particular edition of Aintwrongness meets a high standard even before reading it)
Maia, You Ain't Wrong, for getting accepted by UCSD (and your mother was right, prostitutes get along fine in their profession without going to any sort of college). Your mother wrote (very humorously) about the process for the LATimes, and many folks have chimed in on her site as well as yours with advice, I'll add my voice to the chorus, my advice with regards to attending UCSD, resist the siren call of Tijuana weekends, many of the students you meet will ruin their college careers by indulging in the temptation of cheap, legal at 18 alchohol. You've demonstrated a level headedness and seriousness (at least from what I've read by you, and about you by others) that suggests that won't be a problem for you, but you never know, many level headed folks have been known to have a crazed weekend or two during their college careers (even me, made a pitcher of too strong martinis for a party that my roommate threw (and this is when I was a over 30 returning student, not some young dumb kid, mind you), and decided, waste not, want not, finished it myself, and now the smell of gin is enough to make me queasy).

Doc Searls, You Ain't Wrong, in pointing to the comments by Chris Messina referencing your own work, and then expanding upon his expansion of your thoughts. This whole Army of Davids things is an interesting phenomenon, given that for some folks engaged in writing, in just about any form now, feedback is possible, dialogue and not just monologue is the norm, and real improvements are being made to the quality of not just products, but the very marketplace of ideas (in other words, I won't hate on you for using the phrase 'An immodest proposal' for your piece).

The Producers of Snakes on a Plane, You Ain't Wrong, for reshooting some scenes in that glorious summer action picture soon to sweep the planet, when the people demanded (through blogger buzz and chat rooms) that Samuel L. Jackson at some point say a certain phrase (and just so people don't think I'm some bandwagon jumping upon Johnny Come Lately, here's what I said about Snakes on a Plane back on January 15 (in a post mostly critical of this year's slate of Hollywood films), "One action picture rises above them all! Circle your calendar, August 18th comes!")

OK, that's enough on the aintwrong front, as far as those challenging for this week's title of 'the antonym for aintwrongness' I have two candidates.

First up Mr. Ben Domenech, you screwed up, then you tried to justify that screw up, then you sort of owned up to the screw up but really didn't sound nearly as contrite as you should have given the offense you were accused of when you did apologize. So for this past week wrongness=domenechness (and you don't really need links do you? the links are scattered across the internets like so many dragon's teeth)

Second up, Mr. Morgan Spurlock, again, the original action was wrongheaded enough, but you compounded this by offering a poor excuse for an excuse when you tried to offer an 'explanation' (notably he chose not to use the word 'apology') for his behavior when speaking to a group of high school students. So if domenechness doesn't roll of your tongue easily, you can substitute with wrongness=spurlockness.

That's that for this week, I'm sure you've had enough by now, I knowI have (I need to start compiling the links as I go, rather than tracking them down later in the week, might make this fun again rather than something that resembles a chore)

6 comments:

bill said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pooh said...

Thanks!

And glad to see your Domenech comment, that really shouldn't have been a left/right issue, there is clearly a right and wrong here and I've certainly gained respect for Malkin, Charles Bird at ObWi and the folks over at NRO for not just taking the right stand, but taking it loudly.

Snakes! On a Plane!

Pooh said...

And, while I may disagree, how is UCLA not not wrong?

Icepick said...

Pooh, You Ain't Wrong, for having been born on this date, some 29 years ago. Enjoy your last year without a '3' in front of it.

Uh, X, you should reread and reword that statement. Remember, we're trying to wish Pooh a long life.

Pooh said...

Vile Eliminationist Rhetoric!

AHA!!!!

Maia said...

Thanks for the linky! I'm flattered to be in your "you aint wrong" special. I've thought about going to TJ...but with your description of downing cheap gin...maybe I'll pass. Thanks! I love your blog! I'm going to link to you soon.