16 March 2006

Things That Won't Happen

I watch Idol, and I don't care who knows it. (it helps that I don't blog under my real name, besides I'm in decent company)

Next week is going to be 50s week with a 'very special' performance by Barry Manilow during the elimination show.

My predictions, Kevin will be truly, truly goofy (probably do Elvis), Katharine McPhee and Lisa Tucker will be seriously show tune-y, Bucky and Pickler will be all sorts of country, Mandissa will be bluesy (hopefully Etta James), if Paris doesn't break out with the Billie Holliday that will be her own damn fault, Taylor will still do his Joe Cocker act, Ace will still stare at the camera and sing rather poorly, Eliot will be solid, and Chris is screwed.

But what I really want to see is a Prince week, that would be incredible.

The highlights would be Kevin doing Erotic City (cause he loves doing songs that are completely inappropriate for him to sing), Pickler doing Raspberry Beret as if originally performed by Barbara Mandrell, Mandissa blowing the roof off with I Feel 4 U (a la Chaka Khan), McPhee doing an a capella When Doves Cry (a la Ani DiFranco), and Taylor doing Nothing Compares 2 U, as if it had always been a Joe Cocker song.

Never happen though, Prince hasn't allowed any of his songs to be used by this show so far, and I doubt he's going to start anytime soon.

1 comment:

bill said...

speaking of country versions, I once heard a countrified version of "When Doves Cry" that was not bad.

Better than Prince would be Tom Waits. I'd watch that.

Really want to make the show entertaining, make Tom Waits, Chuck D, and maybe Courtney Love the judges.