01 March 2006

One More Desperate Attempt at an Instalanche

By titling this post as I have, I almost guarantee not getting linked, oh well.

I was on a mission to buy Judas Unchained and An Army of Davids this afternoon.

Anyway, walked to B&N and Borders (brick and mortar editions) at 3rd Street Promenade (and despite what Dale Bozio sung, some people (though possibly still a nobody, granted) walk in LA) to look for two books. First to Borders and they had neither, both on reserve according to their inventory computer.

Then I sauntered along the length of the Promenade (promenaded, even) to the B&N anchoring the opposite end and they had the one, but not the other. They don't have the helpful self-serve computer terminals so I asked the helpful clerk as I bought the Peter Hamilton book if they were stocking Glenn Reynold's An Army of Davids. Here's how the conversation went,

Who? What book again? Nope sorry don't have it. Oh wait I see we are getting some next week, we have 10 on order.


They still have plenty of every Franken, O'Dowd and Krugman book in stock, but they only expect 10 people to want to pick up the Instapundit's new book. OK, I guess. And unsurprisingly, neither store had Strategery (yet #7 at Amazon!) displayed prominently, and neither store had Rebel-In-Chief in stock.

It's possible these stocking decisions reflect the market, or the managers at these locations are as every bit as liberal as you'd expect them to be and are making political decisions by which books they stock.

If Cathy Seipp's experience at the venerable City Lights is any guide, I'd go with the latter.

But the real reason for this post is to let y'all know, that I'll have my nose in that Peter Hamilton book for the next day or two so don't expect another post until the book review (and of course Friday Funk waits for nothing, so at least that post, but I'll finish the book by Weekend Aintwrongness, so my weekly features won't suffer just cause I'm reading).

(also, I keep meaning to add the tag 'disturbingly hot wife' on the Amazon page for Prof. Reynolds' book, but I haven't got around to it yet)

(and for the local folks, Roger Ebert will be at the 3rd Street Promenade's Barns & Noble on March 7th pushing his Great Movies II, go and ask him what it was like working with the great Russ Meyer)

UPDATE: Hello Instapundit readers! I guess reverse, reverse, reverse psychology works sometimes. Let me add the usual plea for folks to have a look around my site (especially the Weekend Aintwrongness and Modest Proposals, conveniently indexed on the sidebar), I'm sure I have something in here to offend, amuse, and maybe provoke a thought or two for just about anyone. And I'm not suggesting there is an anti-Glenn conspiracy at B&N or Borders just yet, but just the same, I'll visit again on March 8th just to check things out (or maybe on March 7th and ask Mr. Ebert how he came up with the idea of an entire film's dialogue in rhymed couplets). Suggestions for books to look for might be interesting (The Fallaci book, Strategery, Road to Serfdom, etc.). Also any Judas Unchained fans might be interested (or appalled) by this discussion.

4 comments:

reader_iam said...

Have you listened to any of the podcasts done jointly by Instapundit and the Instawife? You might want the voice (hers, that is) to go with the look ....

bill said...

congrats! I thought your 7 deadly sins would've had more stickiness, though.

buddy larsen said...

"I guess reverse, reverse, reverse psychology works sometimes."

Ahh, that's a funny line--the 'sometimes' especially--
:)

pst314 said...

It's on the shelf at the Michigan Ave. Borders in downtown Chicago.