09 March 2006

My Kingdom for a Camera

I walked down to the 3rd Street Promenade once again in search of Prof. Glenn Reynold's An Army of Davids.

But that will be a separate post.

This post is about the three things I saw on my walk that made me rue not taking along a camera.

First thing was the Purim Mobile.

Purim is the Spring festival for the people of the Jewish faith (Are you going to party like it's 5766?). Before Hassidim (dare I mention that they have a Sukkah mobile, too?) moved into the area I don't remember this being that big of a deal amongst the Jews that I've known (mostly of the Larry David, not really religious, but still defensive and proud about their Jewishness kind).

What makes the Purim Mobile picture worthy?

It's just an old Taurus Wagon, but on top of the wagon is an effigy of a clown with a rainbow wig, sitting in a milk crate (with the legs missing below the knee) and on the side of the car are banners reminding everyone to join the Purim festivities.

That clown effigy doesn't say joyous spring festival, to me that says 'John Wayne Gacy'.

The second photograph worthy moment was a vehicle parked outside of a restaurant. Big deal you say, well normally I'd agree with you, but said vehicle was one of these, and said restaurant was this one.

Nothing could fit so many stereotypes I spew about effin aging hippies (the gentleman who rode in on that probably should have a sticker on his vehicle that states 'my other vehicle is a recumbant bike) than this juxtaposition. Really, really classic.

Third would have been a photo essay of two cars with bumper stickers. Near the Staples on Wilshire I saw a white Toyota Matrix festooned in inumerable moonbatterrific stickers of the 'Ohio is a Four Letter Word' variety. Parked just two cars away was a black Ford Explorer that had a single prominently placed Bush/Cheney 2004 sticker. I would have worked hard to get both cars in a single shot, or done a two photo mini-photo essay.

Despite hating much of what goes on here, I still love this town.

No comments: