23 December 2005

The semi-official immodest proposals listing of grievances (In observance of Festivus)

1. I am aggrieved over the Santa Monica Daily Press' continued practice of not having linkable articles (they put up a PDF each day). How can I ridicule and point to your smarmy, unthinking, commie-tinged liberalism when you don't give me permalinks to play with?

2. I am greatly aggrieved at all the proposed films with roman numerals after their titles to be released next year. I lump in TV/Film remakes in with them as well. Some might be enjoyable, but in the aggregate it's a continuation of a lack of trust in audiences and story that makes the baby jesus cry.

3. I am aggrieved by the L.A.Times with their introduction of Sudoku into their daily puzzle page. I did not need another daily time sink, but you knew I wouldn't be able to resist solving those puzzles each day. (and could you please increase the number of diabolicals and decrease the gentles, harder is funner)

4. I am aggrieved by all you damn lurkers! That's right I'm talking to you. You come here, you hit and run, and then you don't comment at all. Tell me what a jerk I am, I can take it. Tell me how crazy I am, sometimes I might agree with you. But, just tell me something, it'd be nice to see a community of commenters develop, I know it will take time, or may not happen at all, but I hope the links I include and the pictures I appropriate at least make you think, smile, fume, chuckle, shvitz, &c..

5. I am aggrieved by the electronics industry and their slowness in making reasonably priced HD recording technology available to the mass market. HDTV is awesome, not being able to timeshift it in full resolution is a pain. I know a few solutions exist, but it should be simple to make a box with a large hard drive, and HD tuner, and hdmi inputs and outputs. Fear of piracy is what drives the reluctance, but that's been the rub against every new tech, and each new tech has fueled an expansion in sales so quit being nervous nellies and put out the product.

6. I am aggrieved at DavidChappelle. I want a full season of The Chappelle Show and I want it NOW!!!

7. I am aggrieved at being aggrieved. Can't the world just conform to my notions of how things should be already so I can not feel aggrieved about anything? Is that really so much to ask? What do you mean I'm a narcissist?

OK so now a short list of anti-grievances

1. A big anti-grievance goes out to Ricky Gervais. Extras was amazing. Can't wait for series two (although a minor grievance with in an anti-grievance, can't you do 10 or 13 show series instead of just 6, I'm just asking....)

2. A big anti-grievance goes out to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. You are taking hits from all sides, but you've continued to show a commitment towards slicing through the Gordian Knot of bureaucracy and special interest in Sacramento and for your troubles you've been ridiculed, punished, beaten and bruised.

3. A big anti-grievance goes out to my family and friends, they are all pretty terrific people, why else do you think I have to resort to politics and entertainment to find my grievances for Festivus?

4 comments:

Pooh said...

I've wondered why Arnie has been getting it so bad there. Granted, I don't live in CA, but the ballot initiatives didn't look terrible at all. (Though I'm completely miffed at the bizarre recall law you all have - knowing a little bit about election law, it seems a stupid way to run a railroad. But I digress...)

reader_iam said...

OK, I'll comment just to get the comment # up and encourage other would-be commenters.

From,

Not Exactly A Lurker

Icepick said...

Aw man, now I've got to comment here, too? And do you really want someone from Chopper City hanging around?

XWL said...

Of course no one is obligated to comment.

It was Festivus, so I was venting.

Would I prefer a better commenter/lurker ratio, yes.

Do I think people should not visit unless they comment, Hell NO!

Everybody's welcome to read my ramblings.