01 December 2005

But will Uma be there? (part 2)

Tonight's the night.

Clash of the Titans.

Oprah v. Dave.

She's there (presumably) mainly to shill for "The Color Purple" broadway spectacular that she is producing (opening tonight).

(no reviews yet, one NYT puff piece about the collaborators behind this musical, and that's it)

(Have I mentioned how much I hated the book? (never watched the film))

UPDATE: Uma was there!! (sort of) The Oprah gifted Dave with a signed photo of Herself with the glorious Uma Thurman. Oprah's frequent refrain was, 'I'm surprised you're so serious tonight'. Dave was respectful, asking thoughtful questions and seemed genuinely touched to have her on the show. What kind of alien mind-control ray was focused on him tonight?

UPDATE (Part 2): AP covered the story and mentioned the Uma/Oprah thing too (I mentioned it first, I got the time stamps to prove it!). Also the reviews are in and they don't glow. WaPo and NYT both say the production feels hurried and crams too much story into the musical. I'm not a fan of musical theater, and I really dislike the source material, so wasn't like I was going to hop on a plane, but some of you out there might have been curious so I linked the reviews as a public service, cause like Oprah that's what I'm really about. (becoming a billionaire wouldn't be too bad either though, I better get started on that)

No comments: