22 December 2005

Bah Humbug, Indeed

Hitchens being Hitchens.

He's not completely right, but he's not all wrong either.

I sympathize with non Christians who tire of the seasonal cheer. But I also see that if Christmas is going to be the reason for the season than an expectation of recognizing it's inherent religiousity isn't unreasonable.

Me I'll stick to my list of grievances.
Twas the night before Festivus, when in the flat
not a creature was stirring, not even the cat
The list of grievances was flashing on the screen
In hopes that the guilty would hear as I vent my spleen

The children were sprawled across the living room
Still enyoying a console version of doom
And mamma in her PJs, and I in my hat of felt
Were about to watch a DVD from Season Six of Seinfeld

When out on the street there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I strode across the hall
And peered outside at the suburban sprawl

The moon on the grime of three day old snow
Gave the tinge of decay to the objects below
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But an old man driving his Buick LeSabre

more later, maybe, maybe not

No comments: