27 November 2005

What he said.

On the one hand why link to an Op-Ed where you agree with everything they say?

On the other hand, why not voice your approval for well considered discourse that seriously considers more than one point of view?

Since I am now out of hands (I'm no Shiva Nataraj, those extra limbs would come in handy from time to time though) I'll add my $.42 [2 cents doesn't go very far, and besides 42 is a very special number and 21 times more than 2 (so this opinion should be 21 times more potent than a 2 cent opininion, unless you account for inflation in which case you'd have to determine when the 'two cent' phrase originated and then calculate the inflationary rate since then, and in all probability my 42 cents is probably less potent than the old time 2 cent opinion, oh well)].

China poses a threat, or more precisely the oligarchs in charge of China. They may even one day lose their minds and attack Taiwan or Japan. That's the worst case scenario that's also the least likely (they'd have to be suicidally nuts to do so), thankfully. More likely the struggle between reformers and the status quo will continue with both sides having victories and setbacks for decades to come.

Events in Harbin will be a catalyst for a crackdown or reform, if I were to bet cash money I'd bet on crackdown in the short run (now to six months from now) but the dissent and anger stemming from this wound causing agitation and eventual reform long term (my crystal ball is too cloudy to determine the time frame).

No comments: