27 November 2005

Dude, it's just like Vietnam, Dude (part 274)

The Democratic Party, evidenced by this Newsweek article, seems to be slouching slowly towards Starship Troopers land (first all candidates should be combat vets, then all voters).

If Kanye West can say President Bush hates black people then I can say the Democrats hate the troops.

It's pure, obvious, cynical political exploitation on their part. It's not going to work. They won't attract more moderates if the veterans they stand up for election are from the activist fringe of the party and any veteran they push who proclaims moderate stands will be eviscerated by the activists. The article even speaks to these same concerns.

2006 will be an interesting election and the Media are already ramping up their spin machines 11+ months from election day.

What the public swallows for a time, and what they actually choose to digest as they make their choices in the privacy of the election booth will most likely be two different things.

The Democrats have to root for failure and scandal from now till election day, cause if the economy continues to improve, the troops continue to defeat the terrorists abroad and prevent attacks domestically, and a few Democrats find themselves charged with corruption their fevered dreams today will become bitter memories the Wednesday after Election Day.

4 comments:

Pooh said...

It's just sad that both parties are going to choose to go the negative, attack route...again. And, from my perspective, short term I'm glad the Dems will be fighting fire with fire this time. Though not really, as I'm not sure it will work, AND I think we all lose from this debasement of discourse in the not-so-long-run...

Term limits...term limits...term limits...

XWL said...

Read my modest proposal on political reform if you think term limits are a good idea.

(Terminal limits would be more effective)

And lest I forget, thanks for your patronage, thanks for blogrolling me, and I will do the same as you are running a promising blog yourself.

Sounds like all our ideas don't sync on politics but I suspect our mutual willingness to search for humor, honesty and common ground do, and that's a damn fine thing that.

/mutual admiration mode off

XWL said...

and another thing, it's immodest proposals, not immodest performance, the name derives from Swift's Modest Proposal hence the somewhat odd name.

Pooh said...

Oops! I spell bad sometimes...and I had read your proposal for 'terminal limits' (was working on a post on the same subject...I have another suggestion coming...)