03 May 2009

Your Sunday Vimeo Post (Shakes the Bellydancer Edition)

2009 05 02 3rd St Promenade (Between Santa Monica Blvd and Arizona Ave) from xwl on Vimeo.



I've uploaded my shakycam footage taken today around 6:30pm at the 3rd St Promenade. I was walking the whole time, I was holding the cam down at mid-chest level, and I was looking where I was going rather than seeing what I was shooting (mostly). It's only 2:55 long, so it shouldn't be too much of an ordeal, but I can't exactly recommend watching this beyond the curiosity factor. The on camera mic worked decently, didn't pick up too much wind noise, and did a good job of picking up ambient sound and whomever was closest speaking the loudest.

Also, it's overexposed, thought I needed to compensate for the overcast conditions and overdid the exposure compensation settings. Doesn't autofocus while shooting (which is probably a good thing), so I had the lens zoomed out, and focused it on a spot in the distance. The images look sharp enough, on a sunnier day, probably would look better. Uploading as is, no processing, if shakycam footage bothers you, don't watch this, but if you can handle the shakiness, there's a bellydancer in there somewhere, so enjoy.

Vimeo gives you one HD video a week for their free service, so I think I might take advantage of that, I'll try and find an interesting spot where I can use a tripod next time, so expect better next Sunday. The original video is 410MB, but by running it through handbrake (using the settings recommended by Vimeo), I reduced the file to 105MB with no readily apparent difference in quality. Vimeo limits you to 500MB a week, so instead of around 3 minutes of video, that would give me something closer to 12-15 minutes, while still keeping an HD feed.

I'll try and find something interesting each week to shoot, or maybe I'll do the ranting on video thing that's so popular with the kids today, wouldn't be that hard to turn my garage into a makeshift studio . . .

No comments: