18 March 2009

[ ] - Ology, Episode I, The Overview

It's Bracketology time. Or not, I'm not really feeling real invested in this season's tourney, but I'm tempted to make picks just so I can beat the picks made by The President of the United States (hey, not like he's busy or anything).

So, unlike last year, I'll do the whole bracket thing, rather than picks round by round.

First some generalities about my picks, I always favor Pac 10 teams, no matter what, even though there was a lot of uneven play from those teams this year. Also, the Big 10 was awful, and got too many teams in the tourney, but they play a style of basketball that other schools might have trouble matching. Finally, the Big East was indeed a B'East this year, and was by far the best conference, but that doesn't mean they'll be sending all their schools into the Sweet 16.

Because I'm picking every game, that's too much for one post, instead I'll break it into Regions, and then a Final Four post, so expect 5 more posts to come to cover all my picks.

UPDATE:

I hadn't looked at Obama's picks before making my own, but after looking at them, I'm detecting a heavy dose of East Coast Bias. He has every Pac10 team losing in the 1st round except for Washington. Is that any way to treat the conference in which your brother-in-law coaches? Maybe Michelle looked over his shoulder and told him he better not pick any Pac10 teams, at least until Oregon State makes the tourney. He has no team worse than a 5 seed making the Sweet 16, and he has only UConn as a 1 seed failing to make the Final Four (and he has 2 Memphis beating them). His has to be the most boring bracket ever. I'm going to say it right now, Obama's my bitch, and I will obliterate his score in ESPN's Bracket Challenge. Even though we've had a few years where #1s have done well, those were exceptional years where there were only a few great teams, this year there are NO great teams, but lots of good ones, and this is going to be one of those old fashion unpredictable tournaments with upsets in every round.

No comments: