02 June 2008

Albums That Lead to Listening to Other Albums . . .

So, downloaded the Rockferry album by Duffy (they're pushing heavily at Zune.net), and it's a good one. Nice 'wall of sound'y production, languid vocals, kind of retro-ish, but still very current. All in all a very good listen.

But it also reminded strongly of a slightly less shoegazer-ish Mazzy Star album. Listening to the second Mazzy Star album right now, that's a great, great, great album (yes, three greats in a row are required to modify that noun). I've probably babbled on about how juicy Hope Sandoval is (sort of, here), love her lazy vocal stylings, and the musical settings are just about perfect for her on this one. They didn't quite get it right on their other albums, but So Tonight That I Might See is one of the best albums of the 90s in my opinion (haven't done a 'best of the decade list, the way I did for the 80s, may be a future project to consider).

1 comment:

bill said...

reminder: here's where we started discussing 90s music.

I've meant to revisit that because I know I missed a bunch of stuff. And I was talking songs, not albums. I'm on vacation next week and I'll try to return with my list of top 10-20 albums for the 1990s.