02 May 2008

NBA Playoffs Second Round, Humiliating Picks

There's one series left, and my prognosticating abilities failed me in the first round, but that won't stop me from making a fool of myself in the 2nd round, too.

Eastern Conference Semi-Finals

(1) Boston v (4) Cleveland
I'm going out on a limb and assuming that Boston will take care of business in their game seven on Sunday. Cleveland may have had an easier time in the first round than Boston, but that doesn't mean they're the better team, or will do better in the 2nd round. Boston has had their wake-up call, and you'd expect them to be able to figure out how to not only beat Cleveland, but dominate them. Pick, Boston in 5 (LeBron will win one game all by himself, but only one)

(2) Detroit v (3) Orlando
Detroit doesn't have anybody to guard Dwight Howard, and Howard will suck up every rebound available. The only way Detroit wins this series will be if they shoot a very high percentage, thus negating Orlando's advantage on the boards. I don't see that happening. The ESPN experts except for Abbott pick Detroit (in 6 or 7), but I think Orlando's youth, inside game combined with their outside shooting will be decisive, plus Detroit still strikes me as a team that is likely to get sulky when things go badly. Pick, Orlando in 5

Western Conference Semi-Finals

(1) LA Lakers v (4) Utah
Of course I'm picking the Lakers, and I'd do so even if I weren't a life-long Laker fan. They're playing very well right now, hopefully Turiaf is healthier, and the Lakers have the benefit of 6 days rest, plus Ariza might be available to give them a boost defensively. The Lakers have too much depth, and too much Kobe, and too much Pau for Utah to handle. Pick, LA Lakers in 4
UPDATE: All the ESPN Experts pick the LA Lakers, other than Abbott, and they all pick this series to go 6 or 7 games. I think the Lakers know how to win at home, and know how to win in Salt Lake City, and will maintain the roll they are on. Things will get tougher against San Antonio (or even New Orleans) in the Conference Finals, though.

(2) San Antonio v (3) New Orleans
This ought to be a good series. Paul will push his team to a few wins, but Duncan will push his team to a few more. Parker and Ginobli won't have the trouble guarding Paul that Kidd did, but Chandler's not ready to handle Duncan, either. Only Hollinger is picking New Orleans, all the other ESPN experts like the Champs, so do I. Pick, San Antonio in 6

No comments: