24 June 2007

If You Can't Beat Them, Join Them . . .

You can't beat the Boomer Generation at the nostalgia game, so I won't even try. Let's return again to 25 years ago and check out one of my favorite local bands that went big from back in the day.




The Bangles rocked. Energy, harmonies, performance, they had it all. In this clip you get lead vocals from Susannah Hoffs, Vicky Peterson, and Debbie Peterson. As they got more polished, they kind of lost some of this early magic. Wish I had seen them more often when they were at this stage, only caught them once during their earliest days (I have an excuse, I was 13 at the time).




That was then, this is now, but turns out, they can still put on a pretty good performances. Above is a clip shot in Alhambra just last year. They look good, sound great, still trade off on the vocals, and do a strange Walk Like an Egyptian/Mrs. Robinson medley (don't ask), it works, though.

(and Susannah, if you ever tire of that director hubby of yours, call me . . .)

(hell, if either Peterson sister reads this, you can call me, too, I'm not picky, I had a crush on all of you back in the day . . .)

No comments: