17 July 2006

Oprah Gets All Jerry Seinfeldian for a Moment (Not That There's Anything Wrong With That)

Seemingly stealing the script from this Seinfeld episode, Oprah explains, first that she and Gayle King are just close friends, and that secondly, if they were gay they wouldn't hide it, and of course there's nothing wrong with being gay.

(but just to be clear, Oprah and Gayle are not gay for each other (though Oprah may take a couple swings batting for the other team if Salma Hayek was involved (OK she didn't actually say that, but she's thinking it (and I'm thinking if it ever happens she really should record the visual for posterity's sake, and to help destigmatize lesbian experimentation between mature women (lesbian experimentation, it's not just for college girls anymore! (I can't remember what my record for nested parenthetical statements is, but this must be close))))))

(and yes, all I do is take my marching orders from Drudge, and then try and think of ways to add my own comments to his mighty daily wave of linkage)

UPDATE

Pastor Jeff, after commenting here regarding his lack of desire for being exposed to Oprah's Mingy (even with the alluring Salma dangled as bait), goes on to comment much more at his own site regarding what this public non-outing says about Oprah and society in general.

I agree with the pastor, and I added my own thoughts that I'll post here, as well
Three cheers for stoicism, and both suffering in silence (a lost art I fear) and pleasure in private (another discipline lacking in modern culture).

I think those two things go together, it's not just the famous either, everyone seems to feel the need to do everything in public (but of course that's perceptual, you don't notice those going about their business trying to go unnoticed).
UPDATE: TWO

Mark Daniels, has some more thoughts on this, with regards to what it says about the nature of the discourse regarding friendship in our culture today. Good stuff, read it already.

2 comments:

P_J said...

In these troubled times, we need to build bridges wherever we can across the public divides in religion, politics, and culture.

Selma Hayek or no, I think we can all agree that Oprah's minge should (nay, must) stay exactly where it is -- permanently hidden from public view.

And frankly, the less said about the whole thing, the better.

Won't someone think of the children?

P_J said...

Linked here.