30 November 2005

Not as bad as it sounds

This article from WaPo about proposed changes in TSA procedure isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

First, filtering out the small things that pose a slight threat will allow screeners to focus on the big things that pose a major threat. Given the small time allotted to checking each passenger, a more focused screening would lead to better results.

Second, if the bad guys can bring in potentially dangerous objects, so can the good guys (or guys who given the chance will do violence to bad guys). Instapundit's common refrain of a pack, not a herd applies.

Third, the entire mindset of flight crews has been altered forever by 9/11. There will never be another hijacking of a U.S. based flight. The procedures to mollify hijackers to protect the passengers was based on the assumption that hijackers goal is to extort money or get somewhere. That assumption has been shattered. Besides the upgraded doors, you have pilots who are instructed to risk passenger injury to protect cabin integrity. The only possible vector for a hijacking now would be turncoats in the flight crew and that's unlikely (unless you write Hollywood pictures in which case it's your startling twist).

And did I mention how much I love the name of the reporter who filed this article, Sara Kehaulani Goo.

1 comment:

reader_iam said...

Sorry that I hadn't visited your blog yet when I did my post. Slow start to the day, and all that.

Excellent point about the profound change in mindset of airline personnel post 9/11. I did an update to my post over at my place and linked to yours.