26 June 2006

Person of the Game

I don't know much about Soccer/Football. I haven't watched (or attempted to tape) every match. I haven't had my joy in a game I love turn into disgust, like some folk.

Instead, I just have one question, after watching Italy-Australia, I wonder if for the T-Mobile Player of the Game, can you vote for the Refs (Changing it to Person of the Game, since Refs aren't Players)?

From the BBC

55 mins: Marcello Lippi is forced to shuffle his pack in the wake of Marco Materazzi's dismissal and brings on Andrea Barzagli for the hapless Luca Toni. Australia have the bit between their teeth now.

"An absolutely astounding decision. He wasn't the last man, it wasn't that bad a foul - and yet the referee has shown the red card. Disgusting."
Chris Waddle, Radio Five Live

90+ mins: Fabio Grosso is brought down by Lucas Neill and Italy are awarded a penalty.

90+ mins: GOAL
Francesco Totti puts his penalty away and Italy go through to the last eight.

(Congrats Italy, anyway)

It's been a record setting World Cup for the Refs, with 11 games left, they have already shattered the record (the pinnacle being the Netherlands-Portugal match 16 Yellows, 4 Reds, awesome job Mr. Ivanov) for Yellow and Red cards, way to go zebras (even if they don't wear stripes).

And while I'm at it, add a blue line, like Hockey, and add a shot clock along with a back-field penalty, force teams to play offensively, whether they want to or not, real sports have those kind of things.

Screw tradition.

No comments: